Snubbed Again
vCash: 500
RW - Dave Christian

National Team Statistics: 40 Games, 16 Goals, 16 Assists, 32 Points
1991 NHL All-Star
Top-20 in Goals – 1986 (18th)
Inducted into USA Hockey Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Joe Pelletier
But it was Dave Christian who would go on to the greatest degree of success. He was a blessed skater, armed with good puck skills and a mind for the game. He effortlessly played both defense and forward.
Though he was a scoring forward at North Dakota, coach Herb Brooks utilized Christian on the blue line for the Olympics, and never missed a beat. He was able to control the game by himself, a trait of only the most special players.

The consistent Christian went on to score 340 goals and 433 assists in 1,009 NHL regular season games. He is perhaps best remembered as a member of the Winnipeg Jets and the Washington Capitals, though he also played with Chicago, Boston and St. Louis. Christian also continued to embrace the international game, playing in two world championships and three Canada Cups when the NHL schedule allowed for it.
Originally Posted by The Hockey Guys: Underrated Nation
Late in 1979, Herb Brooks was assigned the task of putting together a team that was to compete in the 1980 Winter Olympics in Lake Placid, New York. One of the players he wanted was indeed Christian, having been impressed with his performance in North Dakota. Christian ended up making the team, and would play a key role in that team winning the Gold Medal that year, joining his dad Bill and Unlce Roger who had won a Silver twenty years prior. However, for Dave Christian, the “Miracle on Ice” will be a memory to cherish for an eternity.

Dave Christian will always be remembered for his early career, the one where he dazzled with his skills and hockey smarts. But there are many sides to Dave Christian as he was a very skilled player but was also a chameleon who could adapt to whatever role was thrust upon him. 1,009 NHL games was a testament to his longevity and his usefulness to teams.
Originally Posted by Herb Brooks: The Inside Story of a Hockey Mastermind
Christian was smooth, too, but played with a combination of pickup-game glee filtered through the grittiness of forceful destermination.

So Dave Christian, who always trended to his defensive responsibilities as a forward, made a seamless transition to defense, where he paired up with XXXXX and played the rest of that season. Even with all the other outsanding forwards on the U.S. Team, it is impossible to imagine any of the others switching back to play defense so efficiently. Maybe Pavelich, because of his rink-rat savvy, but Christian was perfect.

“The rest of my career, I never played defense again, in the NHL or anywhere,” Christian recalled. “But every time I'd see Herbie, or run into him at any event, he'd always say that everybody else had me playing out of position, and if he ever coached me in the NHL, he'd put me at defense again.”
Originally Posted by The Boys of Winter: The Untold Story
The Soviets broke out but couldn't build a threat either, and soon defenseman Dave Christian was controlling the puck directly behind XXX XXXXX, staring up ice, a sure-handed breakout up the middle. Of all the personnel decisions Brooks made, none was more inspired than switching Dave Christian from forward to defense.

Lou Vairo likened Christian to a “Picasso on ice,” and it was a widely shared opinion. Christian didn't just have speed. He had the ability to accelerate, to create space, to read the flow of a game before almost anyone else. He was a defenseman with a centerman's psyche, a playmaker whose offensive skills put enormous pressure on defenses. In the upset of the Czechs, he saved a goal by clearing a puck that had trickled through XXX XXXXX pads. Then he set the tone for the third period with an early rush, splitting two defenders, going in on goal, getting off a shot even as he got hooked and slammed into the goaltender.
Originally Posted by Legends of Hockey
Dave Christian was one of the NHL's most consistent right wingers in the 1980s.
Originally Posted by DonBrashear Official Site
His natural instinct for the game coupled with his puck handling skill and natural skating ability would give him his greatest success.
Originally Posted by Neal Broten
“I would've thought it would be totally scary,” said Neal Broten, his roommate and best friend on the team and fellow northwestern Minnesotan. “But he never said a word about it. Dave was the ultimate team player.”

Last edited by chaosrevolver: 07-30-2011 at 08:58 PM.
chaosrevolver is offline   Reply With Quote