View Single Post
Old
07-31-2011, 02:38 PM
seventieslord

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveCanadian View Post
I guess that depends on if you believe in ES icetime as the latest holy grail of measuring a defenseman's worth regardless of their individual skills.

I think most people would go by total icetime to capture more about how well rounded a player was....
if a guy was 6th in ES icetime but doubleshifted on the PP and got 50 points and finished 2nd in overall icetime, would you refer to him as a "1st pairing defenseman"?

Not looking at ES individually really prevents us from giving some great players their proper due. Jamie Macoun, for example, was usually #2-3 on his team in icetime, but he was the #1 at even strength more often than not. That's a first pairing defenseman, that's a guy who can be trusted on the ice. That's who I want.

You don't think their coaches (who know more than we do) see their skills? You don't think they look at a player whose skills don't match the ice time they've been given and say "hmm, I need to play that player more, because he's good, and it will make my team better"? Of course they do. If they don't, there's a good reason.

seventieslord is online now   Reply With Quote