View Single Post
Old
08-01-2011, 12:05 PM
thomas magnum

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
I see those points but let me offer a counter point.

Shea's reluctance to sign more than a one year deal creates uncertainty that probably deters top end free agents from signing here for anything more than a ridiculous premium that we cant afford.

Signing a 1 year deal with essentially an ultimatum to upgrade the team by trade also makes it harder for Poile to do just what Weber is demanding both by tipping off other GMs that Poile is desperate to make a move, and by not letting Poile know how much money he has to work with going forward.

If Shea was truly committed to this team he would understand that him signing for more than one year would enable Poile to do more. As I have said repeatedly, a four year deal gives Poile enough stability and cost certainty to make plans and acquisitions while leaving Weber the option of departing at age 29(and realistically he could ask for and be given a trade at any time prior), which is still plenty of time to go play somewhere else.

I agree with you but I think you are missing the point that I was trying to make about why he might not have signed yet. You are making the point of "what him signing would allow the team to do". I totally agree with you on that but it's not the same really. He hasn't signed or had an arbitrator give him a ruling that he will honor yet either. So until then using your argument it kinda seems like its a chicken or the egg kinda thing?

Ps. I feel like I'm not making any sense. I'm totally out of it today.