View Single Post
Old
08-01-2011, 03:21 PM
Rivet52
Sabres & Blackhawks

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Rivet52
Anyone saying Colin White is a fraction of the player he used to be has to be kidding themself. He's not everything he used to be, but he's a solid defensive defenseman capable of playing a shutdown role. Like other posters said, he was the best Devil defenseman last year. I'm not saying he'll be claimed because I think it's very unlikely, but at $3M for a year, White's worth almost every penny IMO. Shocked the Devils are doing this to him after how long he's been there. He's been there his whole career. Complete shocker to me. However, I do understand why it's being done. The Devils do have an abundance of defensemen. For one, they probably expect Volchenkov to have a healthier year, as he and White play a very similar game; Volchenkov will be very important to the Devils now. Then factor in they already have Tallinder, Fayne, Corrente, Greene, Taormina, possibly Salvador, they re-signed Fraser, and added Larsson. That's 9 defensemen that could make the roster.

I think Columbus should be all over this if White clears. He's exactly the type of defenseman they need to add. Other teams will be interested though and he'll get signed fast. Edmonton, NYI, Anaheim, and Calgary could also be fits.

As for Hunter, he should clear and perhaps he'll get a PTO. He's going to have to prove his health is better if he wants a contract from someone.

Rivet52 is offline   Reply With Quote