View Single Post
Old
08-01-2011, 02:54 PM
Habitants

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by La Grosse Tendresse View Post
This structure was built in 1986 and wasn't in bad condition.

It collapsed due to vibrations from the work they were doing in order to build a hospital on top of the highway (CHUM). They were working on the highway structure in order to make it withstand the weight of the hospital on top of it.

So this isn't really about the bad state of our infrastructure (which is really bad, I know), but more about the incompetence of either the engineers who supervised the work or the workers themselves. They are the ones that should have realized the dangers associated with what they were doing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nilan View Post
Yep, vibrations = fundamental frequency/resonance = bridge collapse REGARDLESS of bridge strength/condition. Metro isn't collapsing either wtf is this **** about, a lot of non-engineers commenting on things they don't have a clue about. Not arguing the provinces incompetence/corruption though, contracts need to go to the right people, we pay the most for the least and it's not because we don't have good engineers/construction workers.
QFT

They will complete their inspections this week, but i am pretty sure this is due to the construction work for the CHUM. they are building directly over the tunnel. It is a big project that is already being rushed, so im sure that something got overlooked and or a mistake was made. In this case they came out lucky. I still cannot beleive no one was there when it fell.

this does discount the poor state of MTL infrastructure. Unfotunately these are not problems that are easily fixed.not only does it take money, but a lot of time for plans and construction to replace old structures.

Habitants is offline   Reply With Quote