View Single Post
Old
08-01-2011, 09:35 PM
Souffle
A soupçon of nutmeg

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by UniverStalinGraduate View Post
An open spot on the blueline that could very quickly become a logjam that sees a young player wanting out because they are giving trashy veterans ice time over them.

Markov
Subban
Gorges
Gill
Spacek
Weber
Yemelin
Diaz
Nash

Plenty of d for me. I rather see them maybe go after someone mid season.
It looks like a lot of depth, but I see question marks up and down that list. Diaz and Nash likely need some grow time in the AHL. It's to be seen whether Emelin and Weber have ripened into NHL regulars. The combined age and mileage of Gill and Spacek is close to 80 years and 2000 games. Gorges and Markov are coming back from wrecked knees -- Markov in consecutive seasons.

The point is not to be negative. I acknowledge that with no bad luck and a pleasant surprise or two, the Habs D will be in very good shape. But my expectation is for the ordinary course of a season to have its share of injuries, veteran letdowns, and unfulfilled hopes, and so I think the Habs could use a little more NHL depth on defence, preferably a guy who can hit and block shots.

I guess the question just comes down to timing. Is it better to scrounge and hoard now, when picking from the scrap heap is free, or is it better to harvest what you can in fall and hope to purchase what you need in winter with draft picks and prospects?

I do take your point (I think it's your point) that all else being equal, a veteran will play ahead of a prospect. But to my mind that's understandable because of the importance of NHL experience. I don't think it's a bad thing to go into training camp challenging Emelin or Weber to prove he's better than at least one of 6 NHL defencemen. Otherwise one just has to be better than the other, which doesn't guarantee much.