View Single Post
Old
08-02-2011, 01:48 PM
PALE PWNR

vCash: 1050
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonehands77 View Post
I'm not quite sure I see why the public not wanting to pay for a billionaire's stadium is a bad thing, although perhaps I don't know all the particulars in this case. Most studies I've ever seen about the economic benefits of stadiums, though, show that they're illusory at best. And in economic times where states/counties/cities have trouble funding education, road/bridge repair, and other vital, necessary services, I'm not sure why we should be pushing for them to instead raise taxes to pay for something like this.

Would the Islanders moving suck for their fans? Yes, and as a former inhabitant of CT with fond memories of the Whalers, I can totally sympathize. I cannot sympathize with an incredibly rich man claiming he needs the public paying for his stadium, however.
From what I know Wang had every intention in privately funding it however the county would not let him. I'm not going to pretend to know all the details but something was preventing Wang from privately funding it, and Wang claimed that the profits from the arena would directly pay for it.

PALE PWNR is online now   Reply With Quote