View Single Post
Old
09-27-2005, 09:35 AM
vopatsrash

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pred303
in the preseason, mason has the second best save percentage in the entire league among all goalies.. it would be hard to say he hasn't had a great camp.. finley played well though and had a solid camp of his own..

mitch korn has to be pleased with all 4 goalies performance so far. if i had to rank order them based solely on performance in camp it's probably look like this
1)vokoun(among the top five in the league in preseason gaa)
2)mason(2nd in the league in save %,looked the best on shootouts)
3)finley(solid camp all around)
4)rinne(who impressed everyone that saw him,opened some eyes)

So, here's something I was thinking about yesterday. Let's say Vokoun stays healthy and Mason is typical Mason in his 20-ish games and Finley stays healthy all season and improves on last year and Rinne is a solid back-up.

Would everyone agree that if Finley stays healthy in 05-06,next season would be the year that the AHL can no longer help him? If so, do you trade Finley for a center prospect and keep Mason as the back-up, or do you let Mason go and have Finley be the backup? I assume Finley has more physical tools than Mase, but an NHL-level back-up that can come in and not be much of a drop-off from the starter and is happy with that role is a good commodity to have.

I guess it depends on how Rinne (and other prospects below him) develops.