Thread: Speculation: Liar, Liar, Pants on fire!
View Single Post
Old
08-02-2011, 03:59 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
Just like Weber's camp would have to prove he is worth $8m. It isn't likely to piss Poile off, but each side should understand that it's business. I really don't think Weber has thin enough skin to think "man, that Poile sure is an ******* for doing his job." Besides, I don't think it's as much about trying to defend your lowball figure as it is trying to not pay the high figure.

The choices are essentially to low ball it, or to try to be more fair so you don't step on anyone's toes but end up having to pay more. If the number we laid out was $5.5m it would still be a bit insulting considering how good Weber is. The middle ground all of the sudden becomes somewhere in the $6.75-$7.25 range rather than it being in the $6.25-$6.75 range. If Weber is getting his feelings hurt either way why not try for the smaller contract?

As Smokey mentioned earlier, one can assume the long, drawn out negotiations process is more likely to sour the two sides than the hearing is. Poile and his crew have already been trying to plead their case, just as Weber, I'm sure, has hinted that he isn't convinced Poile can build a winner.
I'm sure you can say the same thing for most the file for arbitration, the fact remains, 9 out of 10 times, arbitration ends with the player being traded.