View Single Post
Old
08-02-2011, 04:33 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joetimo View Post
If Shea wants 7m for one year why isn't the deal done? If I was DP, how could I say no to that? He is still an RFA so even if we can't sign him we can at least trade him at the deadline. This is an absolute disaster and has set our team back. As a fan, I no longer believe we are committed to wining and only surviving.
Quote:
Originally Posted by roseyc View Post
If it isn't the money then why did it go to arbitration? Either it's the money we can't get more offense or we can't afford a 7ml player it's either or. We don't and probably won't know all the details
There isn't much of a difference between a one year deal from an arbiter and a one year deal from a GM by the time next summer rolls around. Either way, Weber cannot be taken to team elected arbitration. He can file for arbitration himself, and in that case he either gets a one year deal that takes him to free agency or the team walks and he becomes a UFA one year early. Either way, Weber is going to be open to offer sheets if he chooses to not seek arbitration. The threat is very real even if the likelihood is low that one comes in. Either way, Weber isn't committed to the team, and gets to see what moves, if any, are made. He also gets to see how the new CBA negotiations are going. Simply put, the last thing Poile could do was stand his ground and potentially get the same length at a lower cost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseyc View Post
It hasn't been really explained how the NHL arbitration works in MLB the arbitration takes an either or approach. If Weber say 10 ml and Poile says 2ml for instance the Arb. would take one or other
It actually was briefly explained a couple of times. The team will give its figure, the player will give his figure, and the arbiter will decide on an amount that falls between those two figures once arguments are heard and the hearing is over. An arbiter does NOT have to choose between the two, though he or she can absolutely choose one of them.