View Single Post
Old
08-02-2011, 06:09 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mouth View Post
This is the crux of my argument against eminger being tagged with the veteran role. He hasn't played over 70 games in a season ever. In the last 5 seasons he has only played over 50 games 3 times. He has 5 playoff games to his his credit in his entire career.

If fans want to keep him around because he's cheap that's one thing but to make him out as a vet because he has been through the rigors of several NHL campaigns is just not the case with this guy.

A player that meets my criteria for a vet is a vet no matter if he wants to mentor other players or not. So I do agree with you Wolf on that point.
I had Eminger slotted as a throw-away spare part, heading into last season. While I can't say I was very familiar with his game, I trusted the opinions of Ducks fans on what they saw from him his prior season. That being said, I was fairly impressed with his steadiness throughout the course of the season. He did better than I had expected and filled a role out there. The reason I'm okay with bringing him back, is that Eminger knows his role, and is not going to sour on the coach or organization if he finds himself as the 7th defenseman, who only gets called in when one of the bottom pairing guys is struggling or someone sustains an injury. A guy like Eminger lets us roll the dice with our younger players in training camp (MDZ, Erixon, V-Tank) to see if they're ready to earn spots on the team, he's an insurance policy for that bottom pairing. I'm perfectly fine with that. There's not too many older/experienced guys out there, that we could have signed and been potentially utilized as a 7th defenseman without any gripes/issues on the player's part. Anyone a grade above Eminger that was signed, would have an expectation of having a permanent roster spot on the team, and probably would not have been willing to sign a 1 year short-term deal like that. Looking at our defensive depth among our young players, I'm glad that the door still remains open for more than one of them to step in and make an impact. I am glad we didn't' sign a permanent fixture for that 3rd pairing.

So while I'm hoping that 2 of MDZ, Erixon, V-Tank, round out that bottom pairing heading into the season, it's comforting to know that we have a guy like Eminger who is familiar with the team, the system, and the coach, and who's willing to step in when called upon and help the team out as best he can.

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote