View Single Post
Old
08-02-2011, 06:58 PM
Island Husky

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by austrooper View Post
Not nice, Timbit.....I saw games at the Forum where they would get 2 to 3,000 people or so....in fact, I think they had a fund-raising night for sebasian savage which drew well over 3,500 fans....how he's doing BTW.....? Halifax is a good hockey town..the huskies just don't do anything to promote themselves which is too bad....
No worse no better than Dal; It is still a tough sell compared to Moncton. Consider there are a full slate of programs on at Saint Mary's including the million dollar football program. As AUS Fan pointed out before, there were a number of reasons of which most of us had no idea prior, why the coaching staff don't try very hard. I won't mention all of them, But one of them was basketball and football are two mainstays of St. Mary's that go way way way back, and whereas the hockey team has one NC these guys have three each, going back to some very crucial years. Another is we are dealing with two quality university programs to offer to the the undecided public. A semi ( I guess ) pro basketball league that arrived just in time off of the NC season, at times three junior A teams, Three Major Midget teams, and of course the "you know who's" that even in their worst seasons completely out draw EVERYONE. There are at least a dozen high school teams in Metro alone. Last but not least, when the university did cut a sport this year, they were taken to task by the whole world no less, reinstated the team, but the hockey team itself is contributing 10,000 dollars to the cause per season for the next three...that's 30K they might use for something else including a little marketing? And there is so much more, but once again, this is the wrong thread.

Island Husky is offline   Reply With Quote