View Single Post
Old
08-03-2011, 10:59 AM
handtrick

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyClause View Post
You wonder how much the Jeff Carter/Mike Richards trades spoiled all of this for Weber. Poile could tell Shea that the UFA market wasn't conducive to building a Cup winner (when is it ever?) with only one big name out there that was destined for NYC no matter what. But when you see two top-flight centers traded for picks and prospects, it's difficult for Poile to claim that there was no one out there to improve the team. And if that's why Weber wants to leave, it's difficult to see Suter or Rinne wanting to stay when the big payday awaits from a team that isn't passive and can spend to the cap max.
Something that I hadn't thought about, and with Poile's passive nature [as evidenced by free agents admiting that they had to contact Poile initially to get something started] and Weber seeing this pattern up over and over....I would have trouble believing alot of empty promises as well.
I am sure the Skate of the Union discussion by Poile about everybody not having had their career years, resigning our leading scorer [sk74], maybe radulove will come back, Nick Spaling's top 6 potential, etc did nothing to help Weber relieve those fears.

Face it, this is a great organization for drafting, developing talent, and putting together a team of hard workers that are difficult to play enough to reach the Playoffs consistently......Poile has shown nothing in his 25 years of being a General Manager the ability or cojones to put together a bonafide Cup Contender, let alone keeping homegrown elite talent.