View Single Post
Old
08-03-2011, 01:34 PM
Markowicz
Simple Jacques

vCash: 500
Here's my response to Arpon's blog:

i agree with your point of view, however you've failed to mention one key factor in why Kostitsyn's climb in effectiveness may come to fruition: Lars Eller. I noticed early on the 10-11 season that the two had chemistry, and hoped and prayed that Martin would eventually pair them together. When he finally did, the results were immediate. Even when they didn't produce, you could clearly see that both raised each other's respective game to another level.

Besides maybe the elite players, who can produce with anyone, anytime, most players in this league need the perfect combination of line-mates to reach their full potential. I see that with Eller and Kostitsyn. Maybe it's the fact that Eller is even more meek than Kostitsyn, and it makes Kostitsyn feel like the leader on the line. Maybe it's the fact that Kostitsyn sees Eller's work ethic is already better than his, and he wants to prove to himself and his line-mate that he can work hard too. Maybe its just that they have similar personalities. Whatever it is, I sincerely hope the coaching staff recognizes it, and makes sure they play as often as possible together. Because a 3rd line that can be as offensive as that could be the difference between a first round exit and conference final birth.

Kostitsyn is a player that needs to feel important, feel needed. It's probably not helped that whatever line he's played on he's felt like someone's little brother that is helping out, not really a part of the true brethren. That's what makes his partnership with Eller work: they are both young, and eager to prove to the older players that they are not just kids, but brothers as well.

Markowicz is offline   Reply With Quote