View Single Post
Old
08-04-2011, 10:13 AM
alkurtz

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
This is the primary philosophical difference between the two sides. Some believe, as you do, that he has learned and changed his ways for the better.

Others, like me, believe that he hasn't learned a thing and only changed because change was forced upon him by the salary cap. I have no doubt that if there were no lockout and no salary cap, Sather would be operating the same now as he did pre-lockout.

My evidence for this belief? All the horrible UFA signings we've made since the lockout. Yeah, most of us are very happy with what he did this summer, but I still don't trust him.

Gorton and Clarke have shown themselves to be good talent evaluators. I would feel much more comfortable if they took over everything and Sather stepped aside. That seems to be happening anyway, so why not make it official. Just keep Sather out of personnel decisions and I'll be happy.
Of course he had things forced upon him by the lockout. Of course, without the cap he would have gone on doing the same things he had done before. Hey, this is Sather we are talking about. Even those, like me, who have been defending his recent behavior, understand who we are dealing with here: the Rangers would certainly be better off without him. But, even with the cap, he just could have gone on trading young talent and signing overpriced vets within the cap limits and shortcircuiting player development. #1 draft picks would have been dealt and our farm system neglected. He did not have to change one iota: Dolan would have kept him on even though we would have never made the playoffs and been the laughing stock of the league. For whatever reason, he did change his tune and the operating philosophy of the team. It has taken years to undue the mess that he made himself!

Bottom line for me is that it is a GMs job to give his coaching staff the tools and people necessary to compete and win. We (hopefully) have such a team now. We are certainly better than we were a few years ago. Maybe you can teach an old dog new tricks.

alkurtz is offline   Reply With Quote