Thread: Confirmed with Link: Stars sign Michael Ryder (2 years, $3.5M)
View Single Post
Old
08-04-2011, 02:36 PM
Kritter471

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Kritter471
Benn isn't great defensively. He's average to slightly above but he hustles, and that's what makes him seem so much stronger than Richards (who had moments were he was like "screw this" and just let guys by him). He's well above average shorthanded but he gets running around some 5 v.5.

I would also take Richards' offensive game over Benn's at this point because Richards has the proven ability to make everyone around him better producers as well. Benn is great at creating his own chances and is learning to playmake, but he's certainly not at Richards' level yet. Could he be? Sure, and he has a better shot that some others at getting there eventually, but it's far from a given at this point.

And piqued - equalizing PPM is a little deceiving because one of the things that separates the great players from the merely good ones is that great players are able to increase production with their ice time. A lot of good players can't turn that 50 points into 70 points when they get 20 minutes per game instead of 15. Also, power plays are a very important part of a team's offense - it's unfair to throw one player's numbers there out.

Now, I like Benn a lot and think he has a very good chance to develop into one of the best scorers in the division. But people are acting like that development is a given, and I think that's what some find a little stupid. He could be a player with Richards-like production eventually, but he isn't there yet.

Kritter471 is offline   Reply With Quote