View Single Post
Old
08-04-2011, 03:53 PM
ponder

vCash: 500
A beer league captain is not the same as a captain in competitive hockey. Just needs to be someone who can organize the administrative side (register the team, collect money, send out email roll-calls pre-game and contact subs), brings pucks and water bottles to games, and organize post-game beers/fundraisers/whatever.

Keeping the team focused and in-line (i.e. focus on the win, play hard, don't complain endlessly to refs or pull dirty bush league moves) is good too, but really anyone on the team can do that. The way I see it there isn't a clear top down structure in beer league like their is in competitive hockey (where everyone listens to the coaching staff first, captains second, other teammates third), everyone is more or less on the same level.

The organization side is actually quite a bit of work, on my team there isn't really a single "captain," there's 2-3 guys who organize the team (splitting up the duties), and not necessarily the same 2-3 guys each season, we rotate it somewhat to share the load. We're off-ice friends though and generally chill/good guys, so there isn't nearly as much need for a "firm hand" as I guess some teams might have.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote