View Single Post
Old
08-05-2011, 04:52 PM
Blue Liner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by detredWINgs View Post
Yeah, I'm not quite sure who this signing sets them up to be much more than they are now. They struggled to make the playoffs last year. This year, Crawford is still unproven, and while they're a hell of a lot scrappier this year than they were last, losing Campbell is a much bigger deal than people are making it out to be, simply because of the salary that was moved as a result. They also lost Brouwer and Kopecky who, while not exactly huge pieces to the puzzle, weren't exactly upgraded with additions like Brunette and Olesz.

Its the Sharks that worry me a lot more with their additions of Handzus, White, and Burns, and with Couture moving up the ranks with lightning speed.
Let me preface this by saying I'm not trolling at all, just always read up on the other division teams and what they've got going on.

I certainly won't argue the Hawks had an off year last year, but taking all reasons/excuses/crap/blah blah out of it, at the end of the day they still wound up with 97 points, which was only two points away from being a 4th seed and only seven back of the division lead. Still snaked their way into the 8th seed with some good fortune, no doubt, but when speaking of the Western Conference last season blanket statements like "struggled to get in" or even "didn't even make the playoffs" for a lot of teams shouldn't be made simply because the standings were so freakishly tight and points needed to get in were so high. When only eight points separate #2 from #8 you've got a pretty unique set of circumstances. They had an inconsistent and "off" season, no question, but still wound up with 97 points.

All that said, I hope for a good battle in this division this season. Not just with Detroit and Chicago, but everyone. Potential to be a really tough division to come out of. Should be very interesting.

Blue Liner is offline   Reply With Quote