Thread: Confirmed with Link: Stars sign Michael Ryder (2 years, $3.5M)
View Single Post
Old
08-05-2011, 06:06 PM
glovesave_35
Name

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Frugal Gourmet View Post
Actually, I would too. But Benn is not that.

Also, why do you think Benn has a great defensive game? Do you think just because someone is relatively feisty that makes them good defensively?
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Frugal Gourmet View Post
What intagibles does Benn possess? He's not particularly good defensively and doesn't share the puck at a high level. His instincts as far as where to be on the ice are sub-Ribeiro level. I do think he's tough minded and a hard player. He has the ability to create his own offense which is something very special. Very few players have that.

And I do expect him to improve. I would be overjoyed if he hit 70 points with his uptick in ice time this season.
The intangibles that may one day make him an NHL captain.

Not particularly good defensively? To answer your question not directed at me... knowing where to be on the ice, getting sticks in passing lanes, breaking up offensive plays with anticipation, size and footspeed, winning puck battles along the boards, winning physical battles in general...all of these are attributes of good defensive players. Benn does all of those things and some at a very high level.

There are very few players in this league whose offensive insticts and knowing where to be on the ice are not sub-Ribeiro. If Ribeiro played in Detroit he would be deified, instead he plays in Dallas and is thought of as just some guy. He's ****ing good. The sooner we can get a coach in there who knows how to best utilize his skill-set the better.

Last edited by glovesave_35: 08-05-2011 at 06:15 PM.
glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote