View Single Post
Old
10-22-2003, 02:43 PM
Trottier
Very Random

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by incawg
The most spoiled fans in hockey are going to have to suffer through a wonderfully long rebuilding process
Yeah, starting in 2010.

I don't get it. Hull, Yzerman, Chelios, Hasek and Company, along with guys like Stevens in NJ, Nieuwendyk, etc. have proved over and over again that teams can win Stanley Cups with veterans in their mid-to-late 30s leading the way.

Check the ages of Sakic, Forsberg (assuming he doesn't retire, and until he does, it's strictly speculation), Kariya, and Selanne (no guarantee either will leave after this season), Tanguay, Hedjuk, Blake, Morris and Foote, i.e., the Av's core players. Avs could easily have another five seasons as a strong contender for the Cup with this group. And they are clearly among the favorites this year, even with a question mark in goal. (That's question mark, not a known weakness, as some clairvoyants here have already deemed as fact.) And some people are suggesting that the (future) sky is falling in Colorado because they moved Nedorsost, Vrbata and now Johnasson?

Excuse me, that is what contenders do. When you have a chance to win it all, you trade excess (futures) to improve your chances now.

You are the GM of a team with Kariya, Sakic, Selanne, Forsberg, etc., and you are going to turn down what you think is a deal to improve your team now just because it may (repeat, may) make you weaker in several years? "Um, sorry Paul, sorry Joe, Rob and Peter, we thought Konowalchuk would make us better, but frankly, the future of this franchise - Johnasson - is more important to us than winning the Cup."

Oh, one more thing: when and where exactly would Nedorsost, Vrbata and Johnasson find a spot on the Av's?

Let's get real.