View Single Post
Old
08-06-2011, 09:07 AM
bernmeister

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
For now, I'm leaving the names.
As someone with copyrighted material, I applaud the effort to fully protect copyright.

In my opinion, which is not expert but informed, I understand that LIMITED acknowledgment of actual NEWS, provided there is full credit to authorship and copyright is okay for summary purposes.

Given that it is through ESPN, and not a private author, and ESPN is a news reporting service, and all acknowledgment was fully made, I BELIEVE you are entirely good if you do it in the construct of an accurate quote.

IOW, IMO

"An article indicated as accredited to _________________ {author's name} at ESPN {source} discussing hockey prospects provided the following ranking:

1 name
2 name

The article was found at ________ {source location: ESPN, name of paper/website where listed}.

Full information for ESPN {copyright holder} can be found at ___________ {courtesy reference, full disclosure, ESPN.com}"

That would seem better from a standpoint of legalese, but I think the tuncated version with names of author and copyright holder/distributing partner (if author not copyright holder and it is work for hire) and the listing is probably OK,

When I get a chance, I'll PM you a reference to a book published by my copyright attorney.

bernmeister is online now   Reply With Quote