- 5'10", 178 lbs lbs
- played 3 seasons as C, 5 seasons as RW, 5 seasons as LW
- Best percentages by seventies method: 66, 54, 50, 40, 39, 38, 37
- Best ES percentages: 80, 58, 52, 42, 39, 39
- 101 NHL Fights (36-25-20 record as recorded by
- Average opponent was 3" taller and 25 lbs heavier than him
- Killed 18% of penalties for his teams in his career

Originally Posted by wikipedia
In 2009, Sports Illustrated also compiled their own list of "Notable Pests of the NHL". Their list was: Claude Lemieux, Matt Cooke, Ian Laperrière, Darcy Tucker, Theo Fleury, Pat Verbeek, Esa Tikkanen, Ken Linseman and Tiger Williams. (editor's note: plus six undrafteds)
Originally Posted by
TSN recently aired a top-ten show featuring the best agitators in NHL history... For some perspective, the top ten was (in order from ten to one): Eddie Shack, Darcy Tucker (9), Dale Hunter, Billy Smith, Claude Lemieux, ***** , Ken Linsemen, *****, Bryan Watson, and ****** .
Originally Posted by
here are the best NHL players ever to have insulted mommas and hacked ankles en route to agitator infamy.

9. Darcy Tucker Slapped with the derogatory nickname Sideshow Bob, Tucker transformed from a smallish, skilled player into a shift disturber over the course of his NHL career. It was during his long tenure with the Leafs that Tucker perfected his act. Tucker made a (four-letter) name for himself as an agitator with his incessant chatter. His season-ending low-bridge hit on Islanders forward Michael Peca in the 2002 playoffs simply added to his notoriety.
Originally Posted by Maple Leaf Legends
the only reason he wasn't drafted higher was concerned about his size. The scouts didn't measure the largeness of his heart… About the only thing the fans knew about Tucker was that he feuded with Toronto winger Steve Thomas: soon they would be cheering him for his reckless style and the grit he added to the club. … He scored 16 times in 2001, but was getting into far too much trouble with the referees and racked up 141 penalty minutes, many of them needless. To be fair, Tucker was concerned with protecting his teammates and brother-in-law Shane Corson on the ice and at times he seriously lacked discipline. He was strong in the playoffs in a checking role and helped the leafs nearly get past the New Jersey Devils… Tucker returned to Toronto for the 2002 season with the new approach. Gone was the mouthing off to officials and the overreactions on the ice. He still used his body as much as ever, but he realized he could be more effective if he stayed out of the penalty box and his total fell to 92 min. He scored a career-high 24 goals and 59 points, and displayed a touch around goal few had expected. Tucker's intensity was as high as ever and he still lost control on occasion – at the time a hit on Washington defenseman Sergei Gonchar cost him a two-game suspension – but for the most part he stuck to hockey. He was at his most intense in the 2002 playoffs, fighting like a tiger through a hit from behind by Daniel Alfredsson... It injured his shoulder so that he missed three games and played hurt when he returned. A more mature Tucker had now become a very valuable member of the Toronto Maple Leafs.
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs Top-100
when the Maple leafs acquired Darcy Tucker from the Tampa Bay Lightning they were hoping he would bring an edge to their hockey team… Tucker already had a reputation for being one of the top antagonists in the NHL, and he enjoyed that recognition. "I love going into a rink and being the most hated guy on the ice. Who wouldn't?"

"He has a real edge to him," Toronto coach Pat Quinn said of the newest leaf. "He's a great competitor who will sacrifice his body. You need those kinds of guys, and we didn't have enough of them."

... "You have to evolve with the game, and I think I've adapted fairly well to the new rules and the way the game is being called now," Tucker said when asked if he is now more about skill and less about Brawn. "I think Don Cherry said it well. When I play with a certain edge, that's when I play my best. I go out there and play hard and I play with a tenacious effort. Sometimes that makes other people angry. I just go out and play."

Buffalo coach Lindy Ruff, a longtime Tucker hater, found nice words to say about the lease left-winger. "Right now, he's a goalscorer. You have to give him credit. It might surprise some, but he is a key piece to their offensive puzzle."
Originally Posted by THN, October 1, 2010
NHL players don't have to worry about pesky forward Darcy Tucker getting under their skin any longer.

The 35-year-old announced his retirement Friday after 15 seasons in the NHL. One of the game's most notorious agitators in his prime, Tucker acknowledged that his game had changed a little in recent years.
"I was pretty gentle near the end of my career," said Tucker. "I don't think any of those young guys quite realized what I was like when I was in the heyday. ...

"It's a good time to step back."

Even though Tucker spent his last two years in a Colorado Avalanche jersey, it's the seven-plus seasons with the Toronto Maple Leafs he'll best be remembered for.

Tucker arrived via trade from Tampa Bay in February 2000 and almost instantly became a fan favourite. He was a fierce competitor who played with a reckless style that belied his small stature—occasionally crossing the line.

After arriving in Toronto, the five-foot-10, 178-pound winger provided a noticeable shot of adrenaline.
"When I got there, they were looking for some grit and a certain style of player," said Tucker. "It seemed to work out well for both of us."

Tucker had a career-best 28 goals and 61 points during the 2005-06 season with the Leafs. He also had 100 penalty minutes. The native of Castor, Alta., ended up playing 947 career NHL games in all—amassing 215 goals and 476 points for Montreal, Tampa, Toronto and Colorado. Those are impressive numbers for a player many felt wouldn't be able to make the jump from junior scoring star to everyday NHLer.

..."I played the game hard throughout my career," said Tucker. "When you play as hard as I did for the number of years, things start to slow down—the foot speed, everything. It becomes difficult to ramp yourself up to the level that you need to get to. I was a competitor throughout my career and I want to be known as that."

Ultimately, it was his body that told him it was time to go. "I'd say there's still bumps and bruises that are still lingering," said Tucker. "That's just part of being an NHLer."
Originally Posted by McKeen's Hockey Pool Yearbook 1996 – 97
fearless… An intelligent playmaker with a first-rate work ethic and sound defensive skills, he still needs to get stronger…
Originally Posted by Sports Forecaster 1996-97
Great character...
Originally Posted by Hockey Almanac 1996-97
a rugged player who bangs and grinds, Tucker is a workaholic. Despite the lack of blinding speed, he accomplishes a lot with pure determination. He is smart with the puck. He knows when to pass and went to shoot. He has great enthusiasm, which he uses to inspire his mates. Tucker's lack of size could get him in trouble if he doesn't learn to play with a bit more restraint. He has been compared to a small dog who thinks he's a mastiff, taking on anyone and everyone. The Habs love Tucker's enthusiasm and grit. He's a hard worker, and his winning track record is no accident.

WILL - bring top attitude
CAN'T - win with speed
EXPECT - grit, determination
DON'T EXPECT - Lady Byng approach
Originally Posted by Sports Forecaster 1997-98
if he sticks at the NHL level it will be as a get-under-your-skin agitator. Tucker is overzealous and takes bad penalties instead of drawing them.
Originally Posted by Hockey Scouting Report 1998-99
some people are calling Tucker the new Dale Hunter, and that's not a bad comparison. Tucker isn't the street punk that Hunter is, but he brings a level of intensity to his game that supplements his talent… Tucker was a scorer in Junior and the minors, but his scoring doesn't translate to the NHL level. What it does do, though, is give him an offense of awareness that enhances his role as a third line checking center. Tucker's major drawback is that he lacks big-league speed. He is a good forechecker who will hound the puck carrier, and he can do something with the puck once it's on his stick.

Tucker is dogged and enjoys the rough going. He is small but highly annoying to play against. He can distract bigger players who just try to squish him. His efforts are pretty consistent – you don't have to worry about him getting jazzed up to play a big game. Tucker's got spunk. He cares. He's been a winner and he wants to make his team better.
Originally Posted by The Sports Forecaster 1999 – 2000
Tucker was the bolts leading scorer last season. His league worst -34 was more a reflection of how bad the team was, not an indictment of Tucker's play. Will miss not having Wendel Clark around, but the emergence of LeCavalier and an improved Chris Gratton will take pressure off him offensively. Not a great skater, but a coach's dream because of his work ethic. He will continue to fill the role of a gritty, checking center...
Originally Posted by Hockey Scouting Report 2000
Tucker managed to lead Tampa Bay in nearly every major offensive category. Considering that Tucker is a third line checking center, this is a major accomplishment… Tucker surpassed all expectations for his production last season.
Originally Posted by McKeen's Hockey Pool Yearbook 1999 – 2000
Combative Ex-hab exceeded offensive expectations in his first full year with a lightning… Relentless… Proved very effective deep in the attacking zone but frequently was a liability At the other end… Needs to become a more complete third line pain.
Originally Posted by The Sports Forecaster 2000 – 2001
Tucker is the gritty, two-way forward the leafs needed. Not overly big, he plays a big man's game and has an infectious, in-your-face attitude. While he has seen significant time at left wing, he is an ideal third line center…
Originally Posted by McKeen's Hockey Pool Yearbook 2000 – 2001
belligerent… Made an immediate impact after arriving from Tampa in February and was one of the few useful forwards against New Jersey in the playoffs despite playing with an undisclosed wrist injury… A fiery competitor with good finishing skills, he crashes the net with little regard for his undersized body and has even improved defensively
Originally Posted by Hockey Scouting Report 2001
what a treat it was for Tucker to get traded to a team that was a playoff contender. He is the perfect kind of player for the postseason, because every night he brings a level of intensity to his game that supplements – and some might suggest, surpasses – his talent… He has decent hands, and a knack for scoring big goals… He is good on draws and will tie up the his opposing center. He will block shots. He will fill the water bottles. Whatever it takes to win, Tucker is there… Tucker was the only leafs forward who showed up against the Devils in the playoffs. This trade was an outright steal for Toronto
Originally Posted by Sports Forecaster 2001 – 2002
Tucker is an undersized pest who plays at full speed all the time. He's an overachiever who brings a little bit of everything to the table. He can kill penalties and, when called upon, can contribute to the power play. However, Tucker is best suited to playing a pivotal role on a checking line. Offensively, he didn't have an effective postseason but was able to contribute with skating and checking prowess… His job will remain that of a checker and shift disturber.
Originally Posted by Hockey Scouting Report 2002
Tucker is a pesky forward with the scoring touch… Tucker is a player who is wasted on a non-playoff team. He's just the kind of role player who needs a specific assignment. Like Claude Lemieux, Tucker is able to take some of the heat off the other players in the room by handling the media attention.
Originally Posted by Sports Forecaster 2002 – 2003
Tucker plays every shift as if he's 6 foot three and 210 pounds. In reality, he's 5 foot 11 and 185 pounds soaking wet. The former junior scoring star moved into the high rent district last season, finishing with the second highest points on the Maple leafs and a team-high +24 rating. On the downside, Tucker's on ice antics rubbed everybody the wrong way – at times even his own teammates. He needs to tone it down a notch because it hinders his team performance is much as it helps.
Originally Posted by McKeen's Hockey Pool Yearbook 2002 – 2003
rebounded from a poor 2001 season to finish second on the leafs in scoring with a career-high 59 points… Was slowed in the playoffs by a broken bone in his shoulder… A belligerent, all-purpose spark plug with underrated puck skills, Tucker generate scoring chances because of his desire and fearlessness and has continued to refine his once suspect defensive zone play, however, he can slip over the edge at times as he did in the playoffs, wiping out Mike Peca with a cruel low blow… Any toned-down version would be much less effective
Originally Posted by Hockey Scouting Report 2003
Tucker Is the Kind of Player to Keep No Matter What His Points Are Just to Have on Hand for Pressure Game… Tucker Crossed the Line When He Went from Being an Annoying, Pesky Guy to a Cheap Shot Artist. Maybe the Change Stemmed from Tucker Being on the Receiving End Early in the Season.
Originally Posted by The Sports Forecaster 2003 – 2004
Tucker was expected to have difficulty duplicating his 2002 numbers, so last year went true to form. He slumped to 10 goals, his lowest in six years. He did make strides in playing smarter, more disciplined game but is still too much of a loose cannon. He is at his best when given a defined role on the team, something that was lacking in 2003. Don't expect any more career seasons.
Originally Posted by Hockey Scouting Report 2004
it's almost impossible to watch a leafs game and not notice Tucker… Points aren't why teams keep a player like Tucker around
Originally Posted by McKeen's Hockey Pool Yearbook 2005 – 2006
Played Inspired Hockey during the Rebound First Half in 2004, but Was Derailed by Eye Surgery Followed by a Nagging Abdominal Strain That Limited His Playoff Effectiveness and Required Off-Season Surgery… A Fearless, Lightweight Banger and Agitator… Has a Knack for Getting Open and Wins Plenty of board Battles Using His quickness and ferocious competitiveness… Can Also Lose His Composure Though, As He Did in the Playoffs with Sinister Hits against Sami Kapanen and a... An effective two-way factor when focused and disciplined. Vladimir Malakhov
Originally Posted by Sports Forecaster 2006 – 2007
the gritty winger enjoyed a career offense of season with personal bests in goals and points. Tucker also shot the puck more than ever before. Only Sundin produced more goals for Toronto as Tucker benefited from an improved power-play unit to scored 18 goals with the man advantage. He has toned down the post whistle yapping that he was known for but still grates on the opposition.
Originally Posted by The Sports Forecaster 2007 – 2008
always one of the games best agitators, Tucker has blossomed into a legitimate offensive threat, particularly with the man advantage. With his grit and ability to finish, Tucker gets prime scoring opportunities… His rambunctious style inevitably leads to injuries.
Originally Posted by Sports Forecaster 2008 – 2009
as a whole last year, Tucker's play reflected that of his former club, the Maple leafs: he underachieved and was very good. Feisty, Tucker never stops competing.
Originally Posted by sports forecaster 2009 – 2010
after Toronto bought him out, Tucker headed west to rejuvenate his career in Colorado. Instead, the gritty winger wound up posting career lows.

Last edited by seventieslord: 08-08-2011 at 11:13 AM.
seventieslord is offline   Reply With Quote