View Single Post
Old
08-08-2011, 02:24 PM
Rocko604

vCash: 500
@Waltah So jealous. Can't wait to get my bike tuned up!!

Anyway, pretty sure there are some rugby players on here (past or present) that could give their $0.02 here.

Back in 2009, at the age of 26, I went out and played rugby for the first time. It was a disaster to say the least. Wasn't in good enough shape, conditioning sucked. To make matters worse, I didn't know much about the game, so I read books and watched videos like a madman. In the end, it just didn't work out. The club didn't really seem to appreciate an out-of-shape rookie come on to a club that already sucked. They decided put me in the #5 position (lock/second row), but didn't teach me anything to do with the scrum, so every time I lined up, I had the outside flanker or #8 yelling at me for one reason or another. The club also didn't have a 3rd Division team (ie. where the beginners and less-dedicated play), so never got any playing time.

Anyway, I left the club, and the game for that matter, last September, after a summer full of foot and back problems. Couldn't run at all.

With the Rugby World Cup fast approaching, I'm getting the itch to play again. I won't go out this season, but use the time to get into the best shape of my life. I'll be going to a larger, more established club (that has a 3rd division team), and one that seems to be welcoming to newbies. While my skill level might be that of a pet rock, I'll go with the adage of "I may lack the skill, but make up for it with fitness". My ultimate goal is to play Rugby 7's at the 2015 World Police and Fire Games in DC.

I'll be 29 at the start of the 2012-13 season.

Rocko604 is offline   Reply With Quote