View Single Post
Old
08-08-2011, 08:18 PM
Noir

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozolinsh_27 View Post
I agree, you can be so much faster than teammates which can create you chances off the rush but if you can't delay enough with stickhandling or protecting the puck to give them time to catch up. At that point, you're pretty much in no man's land offensively if you can't do anything to counter the defense that is going to close in around you.

There is a time for a great counterattack and going all out speed against defense, and there is a time to delay and allow the play to develop.
No, no, no, no, no.

You should never be slowing down for your teammates. If you're that much faster than they are, it should be they who should be keeping up with you, not you dumbing down a facet of your game for them.

Like I mentioned earlier already, hockey is an insanely fast game and windows of opportunity closes in a matter of seconds. Trust me, even in the NHL level, players who over-handle the puck get themselves into more trouble than the chances they think they're creating. In hockey, know your play before you even make it. Don't dilly dally around.

Maybe what the OP means about players who are patient with the puck are players who actually make the correct plays, and make proper passes rather than players who just throw the puck around when playing flustered.

In that case, those players who make crisp, proper plays and passes aren't doing so because they're hanging onto the puck longer until they shake their check; they do it because they possess good composure under pressure.

Noir is offline   Reply With Quote