Thread: Prospect Info: Is our prospect pool okay or weak?
View Single Post
Old
08-08-2011, 10:54 PM
NewHabsEra*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HABitual Fan View Post
In all honesty, I really don't care if the prospect pool lacks high end talent. Those type of players usually go to the bottom feeders each season. My belief is that in order to succeed, the team needs to develop the bottom six forwards and lower pairing defense from within, thus allowing you to fill these spots at minimal cost and spend the money you have on the top-end talent. It is overpaying the 3rd and 4th liners because you needed to sign FA's for these positions that weaken the team's ability to spend more on the other positions. Sure you may hit a homerun by drafting a player in the late 1st round or 2nd round that will be a top liner but usually these players will have to come from outside the organization via trade or free agency. Look at the types of 3rd or 4th line FA's many wanted to sign this offseason, those are the players the team needs to be doing a better job of drafting and developing and they should be available where we select in the draft.
I would add that the Bruins won the cup without any stars offensive players in their line-up so its possible to win it with a balanced and deep roster..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote