View Single Post
Old
08-09-2011, 08:16 PM
Talks to Goalposts

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryI View Post
Funny how he mentions Cole is washed up when there has not been any indication of that. Yet he praises his 6 year wonder who never reached 20 goals in his career.

He also forgets the Habs added a top D in Markov (who is better than Ehrhoff and Regher combined) and also adding a great depth D in Gorges.
I'm not sure if you could say that Markov is better than Ehrhoff and Regher combined but I'd definately take Markov-Gorges over Ehrhoff-Regher as a defensive pairing. Subban-Gill would beat out Myers-Leopold also to compare the top-4.

I'd imagine Montreal is planing to use Gill-Subban much as they did to end last season as the primary shutdown unit, playing against 1st and 2nd lines with a Ozone start% around 45-48%. Markov-Gorges is then the new Hamrlik-Wisneiwski, also facing 1st and 2nd lines but with more offesnive faceoffs. Spacek-Yemelin/Weber can then feast upon the lesser lights like Picard-Subban did to start the year or Spacek-Weber to end it.

Buffalo on the other hand can either build an elite tough minutes pairing with Myers-Regher and use Leopold-Ehrhoff as an offensive unit. Or mix them up to build two decent matchup pairings. As a result, Montreal is much deeper in ability to cover tough assignments, although than hinges heavily on having both Markov and Subban in the lineup to be two-way forces to compliment Gorges and Gill's defensive acumen.

Talks to Goalposts is offline   Reply With Quote