View Single Post
Old
09-29-2005, 07:27 PM
Jame
Dream '16

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruckus007
Sheesh Jame. I can understand what you're trying to say but it seems like you're going out of your way to slander Kotalik and are trying to shoehorn circumstances into helping your case.

First off, I'm not a big fan of Kotalik. I don't think he plays particularly hard, nor as physical as some of his bigger fans attest. However, I think you're completely nuts in saying he has the "most overrated shot on HF." (btw, I doubt Ales spends much time here, if you wanted overrated shots I direct you to exhibit 1: Rowley Birkin....)

IMO, Kotalik has no other offensive skill. He's not a great stickhandler nor passer. Doesn't have many moves. What he does have is one of the best shots I've ever seen. Granted, I've only been following hockey since 1993 but I can only think of a handful of players who shoot as well as him. It's not just velocity but also selection.

You say it's overrated, I say its the ONLY offensive weapon he has and the ONLY reason he's been a 20 goal scorer. I'll concede he seems to be having a bad camp and could very well have his job in jeopardy but good grief, let's stop talking about him like his Denis Tsygurov or something here.

Frankly, your dogged refusal to see really any good in guys like Kotalik and Pominville is very baffling to me.
It's not that i dont see any good in these guys. it's that i look at the roster as a whole and dont see where these guys fit. If we had no Afinogenov and no Dumont maybe Kotalik and/or Pominville has a spot on this roster. But i'll take Dumont and Afinogenov over them. There needs to be a blend, a mix of players that compliment eachother and have different skill sets.

I go out of my way with Kotalik because i think he's thoroughly overrated by Sabres fans on this board. They've got 02-03's Calder season stuck in their heads and have forgotten how utterly uselss he was down the stretch when the sabres were fighting for a playoff spot in 03-04. He's lazy and soft. Obviously his shot is the only reason he's cored 20 goals once in his career. But seriously. One of the best you've ever seen? Thats crazy.

I see some good in Pominville and he's still young. I'll take Pominville over Kotalik.