View Single Post
Old
10-22-2003, 06:27 PM
DarioinDenver

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarioinDenver
Moving Bates is a good thing. During training camp I told Lappy right away how I noticed his isolation. He didn't laugh, he didn't talk to the other guys, he walked to the equipment room alone when others would walk over with other players. He never talked to other guys on his line when on the bench, the guy is a recluse and likely a bad apple chemestry wise. Getting a player that wears the C is a massive upgrade in that respect.

Losing Johansson is absolutely a horrible decision. Size, talent, and a fierce competitor. He's no were near 3rd pick talent, it makes absolutely no sense. Taking a weak spot in the prospect pool and making it weaker is simply mind boggling. There's no on in the pipe outside of Svatos that you can reliably consider a top six forward at this point. We hope of course that several of them do develope into that categorie but as of now they aren't. Johansson has had a bad couple of weeks for the Blazers but I can't imagine that's the reason for huge drop in value. He does have a bit of an arrogent heir about him and seemed isolated from the other rookies so maybe chemestry had something to do with it. But for Christs sake, even if he's cut from the Yashin cloth, let him show his talent and get value for value.

This deal smells rotten. I understood the reasoning behind the Vrbata deal, I understand the philosophy behind the Rhino deal but a 3rd pick for Johansson makes no sense what so ever.
Oh, and since Boychuk is signed and Johansson isn't there's a possibility he was playing hard ball on a contract and he's up after next year to be signed by June or he's a free agent. I don't think injuries had anything to do with it.