View Single Post
Old
08-12-2011, 12:12 AM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Preds Partisan View Post
RD beat me to the punch....what he said.

I get tired of people saying "who could we get, Player X who has flaws or Player Y who got paid too much?" as if the literal list of players available is comprised of only those players who actually get dealt or are FA's. Seriously? Why keep repeating that same old crap defending Poile's moves (lack of moves) year after year? If your name isn't Crosby or Ovechkin, you are available. The "who could we get" question is tired, false and a copout.
So no discussion ... just I must have my head in the sand for questioning who was a realistic acquisition. OK. It must be very simple to gripe without having to look at who is on the market, what it would take to get them, and then if that cost makes sense for the Preds. I'll avoid accusations of heads lodged someplace.

The UFA market was absolutely stupid this season with teams vastly overpaying for players who won't bring the type of impact that we'd like. When Uppie is getting $3.5mil and Leino is a $4.5mil hit with $9mil in signing bonuses in the first two years that route pretty much became on non-starter from the beginning. Cole would have been a great acquisition, but, without knowing what (if anything) we offered and what his desires/demands were there is no way for us to know if Nashville was even a destination he considered. After years in small market Carolina he may have wanted the big market atmosphere, or maybe Poile just didn't offer enough, or some other variable.

Poile makes moves that every single one of us question. He picks up players that have us scratching our heads and misses out on guys that message boards scream that we need. He has managed to do more on a tight budget than a lot of teams do spending to the cap.

He's still got about six weeks to acquire a scorer. There are a couple of kids in Toronto who have demonstrated the ability to net 25+ per year who are still very affordable including one who is still a RFA at the end of his current deal, I'd love to see us pull Skinner onto the roster but that is a pipe dream. With several teams bumping against the cap, there will be deals between now and opening night ... the question is if the Preds will be part of them.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote