View Single Post
Old
08-15-2011, 04:55 PM
Roke

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPLBRUIN View Post
Glad to hear that Hab fans think they will finish ahead of Boston, you have to stand up for your team after all, we all do it. The people who's opinion I value more then homer fans are the so called experts, we all know who they are ( i.e Hockey News, TSN, Sportsnet, etc ), I suspect the vast majority of them will have Boston ahead of both Montreal & Buffalo, the reason is simple, better all around team, they can adapt to any style, Montreal & Buffalo come January when the games start becoming more intense are going to have problems with physical teams, teams will play the body on them, they will have a much more difficult time of it then the early part of the year.

The problem with the "experts" is that they provide narrative, not analysis.

If the Bruins start off slowly, or don't win the division, we'll see the experts refer to a "Stanley Cup hangover", the grind of the long playoffs wearing them out and so-on while the real explanation for the Bruins regression (using the real definition of regression, and no pun intended) will be Tim Thomas almost certainly regressing back to his true talent level rather (very good rather than historic) and a highly likely regression in team shooting percentage.

That said, if you want to appeal to the authority of so-called experts whose focus is entirely of developing a compelling narrative that is fine, it's what been fed to sports fans since the beginning of time. I prefer to look deeper and look to those who actually perform reasoned analysis. It's more look to find that stuff, and sometimes you have to do a bit on your own, but it gives you a much clearer picture.

Roke is offline   Reply With Quote