View Single Post
Old
08-15-2011, 09:29 PM
Iain Fyffe
Hockey fact-checker

vCash: 500
The first lines match up well at centre and right wing, but I think I have a real advantage at left wing. Gardner is more well-known than Power and is in the Hall of Fame (though I'd say he doesn't belong there), but he really falls short offensively when it comes to a first-line position. Gardner and Power's careers overlap a bit - and Power outscored Gardner in 1909, even though Power was playing defence and Gardner forward. In Power's best years, he was outscored only by Russell Bowie, Harry Smith and Frank McGee. Gardner never finished better than 11th in scoring. Ronan and Poile have to carry him offensively.

None of Belleville's forward lines can match my second line's level of physical play. Presumably Krupp and Plager will match up against them, so at least at home they'll be able to dominate physically.

I don't think there's a single really dangerous unit to guard against, so Stewart and Traub will be split up, playing with Siltanen and Newell respectively.

Based on the All-Star voting, presumably the reason I'm ranked sixth was the defence corps. I didn't place any blueliner on even the third All-Star team. Even though Tom Paton was recognized as the best goalie, I guess people don't realize that James Stewart was Paton's teammate for most of their careers, and Stewart played the second-most important defensive position. Before joining the Winged Wheelers, Stewart played with the Crystals, and they were excellent defensively as well. He is absolutely an elite stay-at-home blueliner at this level.

I have a lot of respect for Belleville's third line. I'd say the fourth line has a weak spot in Zamuner. The first PP unit seems a bit weak with Gardner and Art Moore, who was by no means an offensively gifted defenceman.

I'm not a believer in Jack Ruttan's value at all, and I'm the biggest Manitoba senior hockey booster that you'll ever come across. He was a decent defenceman, but his Hall of Fame selection is indefensible. He is not clearly better than players like Ollie Turnbull, Corky Fowler or Les Moffatt, who played in his league at the same time, and who no one would even consider drafting in the MLD.

Iain Fyffe is offline   Reply With Quote