View Single Post
Old
08-16-2011, 01:43 PM
seventieslord

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreakmur View Post
I would probably agree that your blueline is better. I don't think it's overly impressive, but neither is mine.

Obviously, Dave Maloney is the best defenseman in the series. It's not really close either. Bladon is solidly ahead offensively, but behind everywhere else.
The only reason Dave Maloney is so far ahead of others in this series is that appreciation for Eric Brewer hasn't caught up to his achievements as a player.

Maloney actually had 26 adjusted ESP per season to Bladon's 22. Bladon just outscored him 16-8 on the PP. he scored twice as much on the PP, but had just over twice the PP time.

Quote:
I did want Jason Smith from you, but it was to anchor my second pair. I think that's where he belongs. He's pretty similar to Bert Marshall on my team. I'd have to look at them both more closely, but it appears they were very similar.
I agree I'd have Smith on a 2nd or 3rd, but I see him as an elite "niche" player.

The only thing similar to Marshall is that they're both defense-oriented. Based on how relied upon they were, and for which teams, Marshall is probably better in a vaccuum (much like Sillinger would be better than Yelle) but Smith is triple-tough, Marshall was just a solid guy. The gap in toughness is huge, I think, like it would be between Smith and most defensemen.

Quote:
Berard and Malakhov are similar, but I think Berard put up better numbers. I would have to look it up. Regardless, they are pretty similar.
There should be no doubt that Malakhov is a better overall player:

- He played 100 more NHL games.
- Just from watching them, he was merely "bad" defensively, while they needed to create new words to describe Berard defensively
- Berard is slightly better offensively: 0.33 to 0.29 APPG at ES, and 0.31 to 0.25 on the PP. On the other hand, 38% of Malakhov's career was played after age 30, when Berard retired. As of the end of the 1999 season, Malakhov's averages were both .36 and .33. On the other hand those averages were based on 160 fewer games than Berard played, plus, he jumped right in at 24 and had no "feeling out period", Berard did, but put up points right away anyway. They are close but Berard has a slight edge there.
- Malakhov was surprisingly relied on for a lot of PK time: 39% as opposed to Berard's 16%
- Malakhov is in the top-250 all-time with an adjusted +87. Berard is in the bottom-250 all-time with an adjusted -61.
- Malakhov played an average of 22.28 minutes per game for teams that were pretty much average (1.01 GF/GA ratio). Berard averaged 21.27 for poor teams (0.91). At even strength, they averaged 16.01 and 15.97. (at first glance that makes them look close to even at even strength, but Malakhov did it for better teams, well into his 30s)
- 75 to 20 games playoff experience, plus a cup for Malakhov.
- Berard was big, Malakhov was even bigger (+2 inches, 10 lbs)

Quote:
Brewer was good enough to play for team Canada in two best of the best tourneys, so I think his peak is not getting due credit.
You are absolutely right, and the only thing preventing Brewer from being your #1 D-man is probably MLD/AAA canon.

seventieslord is offline   Reply With Quote