08-17-2011, 12:22 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiLLY_ShOE1721 View Post
Shorthanded: 5, 4, 5, 4, 2, 1, 3, 3, 1, 1
ES: 5, 4, 4, 3, 2, 3, 3, 6, 4, 4

It's better, but still not amazing. 3x 1st in SH TOI is good, and adds to his resume, but I still don't think he's that impressive. Even strength is usually the time where the defensemen that the coach trusts the most play the most, and that wasn't really the case with White.
I assume that the 4, 4, 3 years were the seasons when White played on the same team as Scott Stevens, Scott Niedermayer and Brian Rafalski? Hardly damning that he played behind those 3 on what was arguably the best group of top 4 defensemen since the 1970s!

The 4, 4, 3, 2, 3, 3 run is exactly what you'd expect from a one-dimensional shut down defenseman on an excellent defensive team - exactly what White was.

The 2002-03 Devils who won the Stanley Cup had a pathetic offense and a rotating group of hasbeens on their bottom pairing. They were carried to the Cup by goaltending and their top 4 defense. White was the least important of the top 4, but he was still damn important.

Speaking the coach trusting players, I believe that in at least 2 seasons after the lockout, White was top 5 in the "quality of competition" stat leaguewide. He might have played a minute less per game than a two-way guy like Andy Greene (that single minute being the difference between "1" and "3" on a team without a true #1 defenseman, but he faced much tougher minutes. Edit: It appears his QoC was about what you'd expect from a guy with his role and minutes, not worth noting either way.

Last edited by TheDevilMadeMe: 08-17-2011 at 01:04 PM.
TheDevilMadeMe is online now   Reply With Quote