: Player Discussion:
View Single Post
08-17-2011, 04:38 PM
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Decatur, AL
Originally Posted by
...like a 99 point season with significant injuries starting in game two...
Actually, Rinne got hurt in game 1, didn't he? I think a Ducks player and Preds defenseman (Boullion?) went right over him and Lindback had to come in for him. Maybe I'm remembering that wrong.
Anyway, about the Weber situation - he's still an RFA after this year. If he just wanted out he could have requested a two-year arbitration award to get to UFA status. He didn't.
I'm hoping that this season sees the following things happen:
1. An offensive upgrade. Maybe this happens by Poile bringing in some help at the trade deadline or before camp. Maybe it happens because O'Reilly stays healthy, Wilson takes a solid step forward and Bergfors shows the offensive talent he's rumored to possess. Maybe it happens because Geoffrion or Halischuk steps up and impresses. Or maybe it just comes from finding a better power-play scheme to work with the players on the team. I don't know which of these things is going to happen, but at least one of them needs to.
2. The rookies impress on the blue line. I feel pretty confident about Blum at this point. I admit to being worried about his size when he was called up last year. After watching him play I'm not worried anymore. Now it's time for two more of the plethora of young, talented defensemen in the system to step up and show what they can do. I don't know which two it will be, but it's going to be an interesting camp and preseason to watch that shake out.
3. Weber, Suter and Rinne prove that they aren't just the Big 3 in Nashville, but the Big 3 in the NHL by putting up dominating defensive numbers. They showed that they can do it this season. Now they just have to prove to the rest of the league what the rest of us already know - it isn't a fluke or a flash in the pan. They really are that good.
4. The Big 3 sign long-term contract extensions. Please, guys? You know you want to...
5. The Preds contend for and hopefully win the division championship. If they take even a small step forward in offense while keeping their defense tight this is very possible. They didn't miss it by too much last year. I think they have a good shot at it.
Of course, there are also some things I'd like to see happen AFTER the season, like 16 more wins. But I digress...
View Public Profile
Find More Posts by MrJoshua