View Single Post
Old
08-17-2011, 04:56 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 500
A lot of speculation happened after the definite "he was approached by the Flyers". While I think he was probably in on the Carter deal, too, I've gone over this before. We couldn't match what Columbus was offering without giving up too much from a position of weakness. Their first was much higher than ours, and gave them a very real chance at getting the guy they wanted and eventually got. Hell, we didn't even have a first. Vorachek is already better than Wilson at this level, and Ellis isn't even proven in the AHL. Besides, Philly isn't in need of defensive prospects so Ellis, Josi, Blum, and Ekholm might have gotten it done, but there is no indication of that being the case.

All we can do is speculate on why we weren't the eventual destination of either M. Richards or Carter, but when you look at the return we would have had to match (or likely have to top considering the deals they took are the deals they wanted) it's pretty hard for us to match without hurting a forward corps we are trying to improve. I'm not opposed to trading Wilson, but I am opposed to trading something like Hornqvist/Erat, Wilson, and a pick or top prospect just to make up for the lack of value in comparison to Columbus' trade package.

ThirdManIn is offline   Reply With Quote