View Single Post
Old
08-17-2011, 05:23 PM
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
I don't think anyone doesn't appreciate what Zubov was and did for this team.

The Mitchell comparison is off. Mitchell was a bit, role player. Zubov was the Rangers leading scorer in the regular season. He was much more important to the Rangers than Mitchell was to the Mets.
What I meant by the Mitchell thing was that he was a blooming star traded for some really dumb reasons before he even hit his peak as with Zubov. Wihtout Mitchell the Mets don't have nearly as much success, the guy played practically every position and actually wanted to be there. Maybe Game 6 of the 86 WS doesn't happen without Mitchell because he was the guy who was at the plate when it was tied. Kevin McReynolds was decent for two seasons and could care less. Never liked him as a kid.

Zubov deserves more credit. He's never grouped with the Fab 4 or even get the credit of Kovalev, but he was right with all those guys in every important play and his passing and vision were imperative to the Cup win. Organization should bring him back already, NOT to retire his number but if Matteau and Anderson can come back for games and do alumni stuff, so should Zubov.

As for other guys mentioned;

Healy was one of the only things that kept those late 80s/early 90s Islander teams competitive and was key in their 92-93 run. He was a great pickup when they knew Beezer was gone.

Nedved-Guy wasn't that good. Sorry, but he was never clutch, too soft, and only had 2 good seasons in NY. He was relied upon to be a constant threat and top 6 but could NEVER carry a team and he fanned on that wrist shot once a game. To me, he is the epitome of the dark years.

I'll add one guy to stir it up;
Kevin Weekes-Yes, his tenure was brief and he really only had one good season, but he helped Henrik out a lot, and it was HIM who ended the dark years and got this team back in the playoffs with that crazy shoot out win over Philly.

White Plains Batman is offline   Reply With Quote