View Single Post
Old
08-17-2011, 08:09 PM
Bill McNeal

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyzombies View Post
They had some very high profile misses in the draft and it's cost us. We probably could have snagged Carey Price by picking up a low first rounder and taken Kopitar instead (a big, skill centerman we still badly need). And passing over a big Canadian boy like Getzlaf and getting outbid by Jersey for Parise was inexcusable. We could have had all those guys on cheap entry contracts and loaded up. Not sure what Gainey did to clean anything up. He kept us on the same level with different players, basically. And some players played over their heads and got us some surprising results. Other than the one year Carbo took us to the top with a bunch of Euros, then got fired for it because he had to play fourth liners in the top 6 because we were too soft. There are no excuses. These guys are paid to win and get the job done, and I'm still looking at several of the players on this team and shaking my head at how we're ever going to get a Cup.

PG has already made a dent in that sad history by signing Cole. That signing alone guarantees that we'll improve - if he stays healthy. I'm very happy with our current GM. About time.
Pretty sure it's all but confirmed that Ottawa wanted Price at 9, so there's no way the Habs would have gotten him with a late round pick. There's zero reason to complain about that pick given what we know now, even if I'd be just as happy today with Kopitar.

And Gainey didn't become GM until May 2003, so I doubt you'll find many fingerprints of his on the draft that occurred one month later considering the guy he replaced remained with the team.

Last edited by Bill McNeal: 08-17-2011 at 08:17 PM.
Bill McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote