View Single Post
Old
08-17-2011, 08:12 PM
TaketheCannoli
RIP

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
I don't buy something as simplistic as it "All comes down to goal tending".
With the offensive improvements and no real defensive improvement, if anything slight regression defensively, I'd expect this team to score maybe 20-25 more goals this upcoming season. They lost 33 goals departing players, and I am allowing for the new players, plus development to score about 50-55 goals. I figure Carter is good for 35g, Wisniewski about 7g, and the remaining 8-13 from increased production from Clitsome, as well as more ice time for Calvert and probably Mayorov. For this reason, the team needs to reduce goals allowed.

If this happens, I believe they also need to give up about 25-30 fewer goals on the season. While hopefully Wisniewski improves the defensive corps offensively, I'm not counting on him or Martinek to make enough defensive difference to make up for the loss of Hejda AND veterans like Clark and Moreau. This puts the onus squarely on the goaltenders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skraut View Post
Agreed

If it was that simple, why weren't the Flyers 12th last season?
If the Jackets had Carter, Richards, Giroux, JVR, Leino and Hartnell, coupled with a number of very good shut down players like Betts, added Timonen, Pronger, Meszaros and Coburn, making the playoffs wouldn't come down to goaltending. Hell, just add a healthy Pronger and Timonen and the Jackets would be a lock this season.

TaketheCannoli is offline   Reply With Quote