Thread: OT: MSG HD on FiOS?
View Single Post
Old
08-18-2011, 11:07 AM
JanErixon20

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
Mods, if there's a better place to put this, please feel free to merge - it seems to me it's something of interest to many posters and I couldn't find a recent thread that discusses the subject.

I've had Cablevision for the last 8 years or so. The service has been pretty much crap, but when I moved into my current neighborhood it was the only choice and I haven't wanted to have to deal with changing. Now, I'm moving and I have to pick a new provider for cable and internet. In my new neighborhood (Williamsburg), my choices will be TWC and FiOS.

Based on casual research on the internet, FiOS sounds like the best option for a variety of reasons - better TV signal, better features, faster internet and a better price. But of course, as a die-hard Rangers (and Knicks) fan, none of that matters if I can't get the MSG channels, preferably in HD. Unfortunately, the same casual research seems to indicate that it's still not possible to get these channels in HD on FiOS.

Based on what I can gather online, it appears that Verizon filed a complaint with the FCC seeking access to this programming from Cablevision, the FCC ruled in Verizon's favor, but Cablevision took the decision to the court of appeals and... that's it. The last update I can find is that oral arguments in the case were heard in February of this year.

Can anyone provide more info - or, better yet, an update? As of this morning, there's no MSG HD listed on the FiOS channel listings and I can't find anything after February regarding the ongoing suit. Much appreciated!
I live on Long Island and was thinking of trying FiOS. The lack of MSG in HD was a major factor in me sticking with Cablevision. Also, the more you pay, the better you get with FiOS. So my initial offer of $69.99 a month (plus taxes and all that which is their "good" plan) was quickly bumped up to about $115. Then, if I want HBO, which is not included, it's another $16 a month. And if I get the "best" plan, it's even more money, right around what I would get with Cablevision....and minus MSG in HD. I heard someone mention on another board that watching hockey in SD sucks.

Recently I gave up my season tickets as they were going up in price and I just wasn't able to get to games as much as I was before marriage, houses and a baby. I figured it was OK as we had a nice TV and watching in HD was great. Now I have to give that up? Don't think so. FiOS seems good, but the more you pay, the better the service. If you buy their "good" plan, expect good internet service.

Also, I've never had a problem with Cablevision. If something was wrong, I'd call them up and they'd take care of it. I've probably had to call them 4 times in years, and that counts 2 times this year already. So it's not as bad as people make it out to be, at least to me.

Bottom line: I'm sticking with Cable.