View Single Post
Old
08-18-2011, 03:42 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subban76 View Post
No he is not, not even close. Habs would have kept him if he was that mean.

Rarely fights, does not hit that often and he does not croscheck people all the time. Far from being a mean SOB.
Guys like Greene and Schenn were at the top of the NHL hits leaders for d-men, they average only 0.3 hits per game more than O'Byrne(2.68 versus about 3.00) and those guys have 2 fights each last year. Chara averaged 1.89 and was not even 1st on his own team for d-men. OB had only one fight last year but 6 the year before.

I'm not saying he is THE meanest SOB in the NHL but hefits the mold of the big bruising stay at home d-man...people love to knock him on here and I think they don't live in the real world.

The biggest reason he was traded is that JM always leans on the veterans over the youngt players, I think Gainey made a big mistake by signing Spacek, not just because it looks like a bad contract right now and he was not comfortable on the RH side, because it let JM play all veterans and barely play O'byrne. This year by not signing any real established vets he forces JM to give Weber and Yemelin a true shot.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote