View Single Post
Old
08-18-2011, 04:03 PM
gluvhand

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
Do you know what upscaling is?

I know I'm not receiving native 16:9 widescreen format from an SD feed... I'm telling you my cable box is upscaling the signal, and displaying it as you see it in those images... It looks pretty damn good for an SD feed, and doesn't look anything like the picture quality when people take SD feeds and have their TV stretch the image to fit the screen, that's when you see significant distortion of the image... Stretching an image and upscaling an image are NOT the same. Do you have FiOS?
I do. And though your TV isn't stretching the image, from the photos you supplied, the Verizon box is. Yes, obviously stretching and upscaling aren't the same thing, but what you are showing us is both. I do the same thing on my display to avoid the side pillars but I know I'm sacrificing some action, minute it may be, on all sides.

To me, the only advantage Cablevision's boxes have to Verizon's is the option to allow native pass-thru of any channel. That way my display or receiver does the scaling. The scalers in average HDTVs are better than the ones in the boxes. This option will be included when Verizon roles out update 1.9 for their boxes in this area. The strike, as well as some bugs in the firmware, is impacting release here.