View Single Post
Old
08-18-2011, 07:45 PM
vecens24

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiLLY_ShOE1721 View Post
No doubt, Pronovost is definitely a few pegs higher in terms of defensive play over Krush.

Color me unimpressed by being 27th in a 6 team league, let alone 35-43. Okay, he wasn't playing in a role that gave him a lot of opportunities to score goals because he was playing behind a bunch of better players. But just because of that, we can't add hypothetical offense to his resume just because he didn't get the opportunity. There is no indication that his offense would have been better had he been playing on a worse team and getting better minutes. You can make the same argument that Krushelnyski suffered from the same thing, being buried on the Edmonton depth chart.(I'm not going to support this because I don't agree with its logic.) Why goals? We're looking at the player as a whole offensively, and points certainly gives a better indication of that. A goals comparison punishes Krushelnyski for being a better playmaker than goalscorer. I don't think it's fair to remove Krushelnyski's best season considering he didn't play exclusively with Gretzky the entire year. Discount it sure, but unless we know exactly how much he played with Gretzky, we don't know how much it should be discounted. But for comparisons sake, let's do what you say and remove that entire season.

Adjusted goals/game

Krushelnyski: .20
Pronovost: .16

Okay, they're closer. But Krushelnyski is still clearly better. Here are their adjusted PPG with Pronovost's number of games thing being factored in:

Adjusted PPG

Krushelnyski: .5229
Pronovost: .3486

That's a significant advantage offensively, especially considering the fact that they were both playing in the same role during the majority of their careers, the 3rd line. If Krushelnyski was a 1st liner and Pronovost a 3rd liner this would be different, but considering they were playing in the same role most of the time, yet Krushelnyski was that much better, the difference is significant.
Krushelnyski at the beginning of his career (his 3rd best points season, then his 3rd best goals season) he was a top line forward and was considered a rising star (Pelletier). Edmonton acquired him to play with Gretzky and he played there his entire first season (the big year). Starting in 1985-86, he began a lower line forward (LOH).

I have found on multiple blogs that I'm not going to reference on this site as full on actual sources statements like this: "Mike Krushelnyski peaked on the Gretzky line, having his only 30-goal season in 1984-85. Krushelnyski scored a career-high 43, as Gretzky led the league in assists." I've also found game logs of him playing with Gretzky as of Jan. 1985

He also played with Gretzky right after coming over to Los Angeles with him, which is his third best offensive season. The LA Times has articles in 1989 preseason talking about replacing Krushelnyski on the Gretzky line from the previous year.

So in other words, two of his top 3 offensive seasons were product of Gretzky. The other he was in the top 6 of Boston, and then his third best goals season were in Boston. I still think Krushelnyski is the better offensive player. But it's much closer than you're making it out to be.

vecens24 is offline   Reply With Quote