View Single Post
Old
08-18-2011, 11:43 PM
Lafleurs Guy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Less Habitats View Post
Like I said, if you want to ***** about everything this team does, go ahead. Don't go around calling anyone who shows the least bit of optimism in this team an idiot though(don't dwell on this part, I'm not singling you out). Just because you're pessimistic doesn't mean your predictions are any more realistic.

We pretty much dominated Boston all season(but the beatdown!!!), and were battling for the division the entire season until down the stretch. You've already seen this argument but injuries, etc... I'd hardly call Montreal a mediocre team last season.
96 points is mediocre. Especially when you consider that we had awesome goaltending. It doesn't matter if we had hot stretches where we were close to the Division lead dude... the Devils were the hottest team in the league in the 2nd half and missed the playoffs. What matters is how you finish.

As for injuries, every team gets them and losing Markov wasn't the least bit surprising. What was surprising was that we didn't have a backup plan for him. Fortunately when we started what seems like our 'annual' mid year swoon, management went out and got Wiz and he saved our season.

Quote:
I've already pointed this out, luck is involved. Injuries on your team, your opponents team, playing against "softer" opponents. So would you consider San Jose's existence a success so far? I mean aside from some regular season success, what have they exactly accomplished?
SJ has had the misfortune of running into better teams. They've built a great team but it's just not been as good as Detroit's or Anaheim's or Vancouver's.

SJ didn't build their team the way I have suggested (via rebuilding through the draft and trading for top prospects) but they have made great trades for vets and assembled a true cup contending team with Thornton and company. No, it didn't work out and they won't be seen as successful in the eyes of history, but certainly their management did a hell of a job trying to assemble a cup winning team.

And who knows? Maybe Joe will actually be able to help win one in the future...
Quote:
You and the others apparently don't care about Montreals playoff success recently, and you discredit their first place finish in 08, so what counts aside from Stanley Cups?
Our '08 year was a fluke. Unlike the Sharks who have assembled a team that contends year after year, we have assembled borderline playoff teams. It was a complete shock that we took first in '08 and then we followed it up with an 8th place finish. You don't see a difference here?
Quote:
Who says they aren't trying to build the best team possible? This isn't a video game, it takes two GMs to make a deal, and people need to want to come here.
It's painfully obvious that the club didn't try to build the best team possible. They wanted to make the playoffs and that was it. If you want to win a cup, you don't trade away McD for Scott Gomez...

Maybe our new management will be different, but he hasn't been around long enough to put his stamp on this team yet.
Quote:
I don't blindly agree with everything management does, I want a Stanley Cup too. If we were like the Leafs since the lockout I'd be pissed, but at least we've iced a competitive team. I have no problem with criticism, but it gets grating seeing the same people blindly hate everything this team does, and then claim they know what's best because they're not "blind to managements flaws".

Montreal signs someone, or makes a trade and your first thought is to point out the flaws, fine. Don't pretend you're smarter just because your glass is half empty.
I don't think that's the case for most on this board. People are pretty quick to praise mgmt when they've made the right moves.

Wiz for example was a great, great trade last year. There was some heat on mgmt by fans to re-sign him, but that died off pretty quickly when everyone saw what he signed for.

Again, I think you have things backwards. Next time mangement does something you don't like, post it here and watch how people flip out on you. Happens all the time...
Quote:
Case in point. I'm not even sure what "guys like you" entails.
Okay, sorry. I will take back the 'guys like you' comment. My apologies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post

Yeah, most of the negative horde here predicted we'd fight for a playoff spot last season. Guess what? They were wrong.
You're right. We came in 6th/7th. Holy smokes what a dominating year that was!
Quote:
We fought for the division, without our MVP to boot. That should tell you how accurate they were...
We fought for the Division? Okay... so did the Leafs.
Quote:
Also, I want to talk about that "yeah right" you responded to my quote about Mathman.

As per usual, you don't even offer ANY arguments to disprove this.
You're right, I just laughed at your batcrazy comments... I didn't realize I needed an argument here. Quite frankly, you sound like Joe McCarthy and his 'if she floats, she's a witch' type paranoia.
Quote:
Mathman's shot % stats are facts.
First of all, they aren't Mathman's shot%. If they were, he'd be shooting zero. (Sorry Mathman, just kdn')

Secondly, stats are just that... numbers. They are tools used to form opinions. Opinions aren't facts... opinions are subjective. I shouldn't have to explain this to you...

Yes, numbers help justify arguments, but when you ONLY look at one number and ignore others, your arguments don't hold water. In all sincerity I think Mathman brings some interesting STATS to the table. I think he's made some interesting points and I actually do think they have some value.

My problem with him is that he focuses too much on certain stats and not others.
Quote:
Deal with it. It is revealing that you don't recognize the difference between facts, and an "agenda".
And this is where your Charile Sheen type meltdowns make you Exhibit A on what I was talking about with Les Habitants.

If somebody disagrees with the direction of the team or how management is running things, you rant that they have an agenda or are secretly a fan of another team or want the Habs to tank. Maybe they just don't believe that the stat carries that much weight...

Shooting percentage is fine and dandy. It is also not the be all and end all of things. And if somebody gives them less credence than you do, it doesn't mean that they have an 'agenda' or want to see the team fail. And I'm 100% sure that if the shooting percentage argument did not favour the Habs, you'd be here arguing against it and downplaying it's importance.

Last edited by Lafleurs Guy: 08-19-2011 at 12:17 AM.
Lafleurs Guy is online now   Reply With Quote