View Single Post
Old
08-19-2011, 12:57 PM
Guffaw

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
I've been playing constantly for 18 years. Switched from roller to ice full time when I turned 30 but was playing up to 3 times a week. I try to play at least twice a week. When I hit 30 I began taking supplements directly before I played hockey or working out, OTC stuff which usually contained creatine. I'd say most of my equipment is high end, which could be another cause/effect. I try to stay as lightweight/breathable as possible while having the best protection at the same time. The only real injuries I've had in 18 years are a torn acl my first season, sprained an ankle, took a puck to the chin and a puck to the mouth which required stitches. I would think it probably has a lot to do with the fact that I have been playing once a week for 18 years. Maybe you're body gets used to it, I have a set routine and I have stuck to it for a long time to prevent that worn out feeling? My idol was Esa Tikkanen so I play a pretty "rugged" style.
I totally agree. Instead of getting frustrated or bummed out about it I'm just going to deal with each injury and try and prevent it from happening again. Getting my skates punched and better pants are half of it. I've stopped diving for pucks and don't look to initiate contact as much. I think alot of it is just that I'm not used to it. I went from nothing to playing pretty hard 2-3X per week so it will take me some time.

Thanks for your incite.

Guffaw is offline   Reply With Quote