View Single Post
Old
08-20-2011, 11:41 AM
bernmeister

vCash: 500
Value NYR-NJD blockbuster Stepan + Larsson as principals

Thought I'd get some input before starting a new thread about this on the big board.

First, this is difficult because it is divisional rivals who hate each other, so that's why I emphasize "value of". I lean to this as an actual proposal otherwise, though I'd like some input on finalizing around the edges,

The base is step 1, a core of Stepan + MDZ for Larsen. Players may be added on either side to establish approximate equal value.
Rationale:
There is presently indication on the big board about Devils lack of depth at C, compounded by injury. Larsen was drafted to be replacement for Niedermayer. If Devs get bonafide value at C, and Del Zotto is enough to be a rushing/passing leader, NJ could fill 2 holes at once for one price, For the Rangers, the gamble, and it is a gamble, is that Larsen turns into the next Brian Leetch.

Value: MDZ was 1st rounder, I think 20 overall, could have been a little higher. Stepan drafted later has demonstrated 1st round + value. Larsen was drafted 4th but could have been 1st, some think he was best player in the draft.
MDZ + Stepan have demonstrated NHL level ability.
Larsen has not but is projected to be able to step in fairly soon.
Conclusion: on balance, potential and actual, consider this close, with slight overpayment by Rangers, which could change once Larsen shows how really good he really is --- by NHL standards.

Again, please advise what you think is fair equal value, as well as what offer would you make/do you think it would take?

The optional add on is step 2, a core of Girardi + Boyle + Talbot + Rangers 3rd in 2012 for Parise AS IS + Devils 2nd in 2012.
Parise is only committed to the one year, and can be UFA after this.

Players may be added on either side to establish approximate equal value.
Rationale:
Brodeur is on his last legs. Cam Talbot is bonafide G talent, and Rangers have depth there. Getting him now to study under Marty's tutoring is a valid factor.
Girardi provides depth at D, has real value.
Boyle is, give or take, 20 goals for a team that does not score.
Sure, if FOR CERTAIN Parise stays, that's a whole different picture.
But we don't know that for certain, and LL may not cough up enough $$$$$$ long term.
Devs have to think is this worth it now, or do I see what Parise brings as a rental at the deadline, which is both enhanced by the like desperation of a buyer for a Cup run, but which is also reduced by the fact you are getting him last minute --- assumes risk he is not injured before.

Rangers short term enhancing real Cup run, he'd fit 1st/2nd line with both Richards or Anisimov lines (depending upon whether or not Dubi was needed to provide added grit). Would be a gamble for NY beyond the one year, but we would be getting first crack at him.

Total revised roster if both happen
Parise -Richards - Gaborik
Dubi - AA - Cally
Rupp - Lindmark - Prust
Weise/Wolski EC Hagelin

Staal Larsen
McD - Sauer
Erixon Vtank
Eminger

Hank
Marty

Thoughts.........

Last edited by bernmeister: 08-20-2011 at 12:11 PM.
bernmeister is offline   Reply With Quote