View Single Post
Old
08-20-2011, 12:16 PM
Yakushev72

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latgale_fan View Post
Maybe it's the indication of that. Maybe it's the indication of the fact that while Canadians were preparing seriously for the tournament, Russians just arrived to play some games... of course, it doesn't explain 44-6 but we also should take into account the fact that RUSSIA IS NOT PRODUCING AS MUCH TALENT AS IT USED TO. We see that Russia didn't win U20 for some time, before this year's victory. And we also saw the in U18 championships Russia was only nr.3... It's not like Russia is the sole top power in youth hockey nowadays- there's not only Canada, but also Sweden and USA that are constantly better or equal with Russian teams.

Now, that also doesn't explain 44-6 as Russian team can't be THAT bad but still... I don't think that one tournament should be seen as some indication of what's better and worse for Russian hockey.

I'm not against Russians staying in MHL/KHL until they are ready to play in NHL, I would only be for it... But I don't think that playing in CHL harms a player's development. Of course, you can always find examples of that with some players but I think there are examples that show players who stayed in Russia and who could've possibly develop better in CHL...
I believe that Russian hockey is on the rise, and will eventually approach and perhaps surpass the great Soviet hockey of the 1970's and 80's. The complete loss of financial support forced a collapse of Russian hockey in the 1990's and early 2000's, but indications are now that Russian hockey is again challenging for championships. But there is still a problem with development opportunities for younger players. Until solutions are reached, Russian players are better off staying at home, playing the style that they are accustomed to, and maturing sufficiently before going overeas. In the 1990's and early 2000's, Russian hockey players had no choice if they wanted to convert their hockey skills into financial security - they had to go to NA. Now there is an acceptable alternative.

Yakushev72 is offline   Reply With Quote