View Single Post
Old
08-20-2011, 01:31 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 500
Having experienced drug addiction both personally and as an outsider viewing how it affects people close to me, I can understand this more so than a lot of people. Trust me, it isn't an attribute of which I am proud. I certainly don't list "recovering narcotics addict who totally gets it" on resumes. It is an unbelievably tough position to be in, and it is made even tougher because once you realize where you are at in your life (assuming you are lucky enough to realize it) you understand that it is your own fault. The dilemma arises when you begin to blame yourself, but then that doesn't do anything to actually solve the problem. In fact, nothing can solve the problem. Taking more drugs will temporarily and erroneously lessen the effects, but it is something that will remain with the user for the rest of his or her life. I'm not making excuses or pretending like it's a disease that a person just happened to be born with. Simply, that is how the cycle works. Mix in a mental illness like bi-polar disorder or massive depressive disorder and it's a battle that is virtually impossible to win. There are no simple answers, and the stark reality is that the majority of those who enter this battle will not make it out alive. That's a dark thought, but it's the truth.

edit: this is a subject that is very real to me, and one that is therapeutic to talk about. If anyone has any questions feel free to ask. The more personal ones I would prefer to have PM'd to me, but I'll try to answer anything if I feel like I can.

Last edited by TMI: 08-20-2011 at 01:37 PM.
TMI is online now   Reply With Quote