View Single Post
Old
08-20-2011, 05:23 PM
bernmeister

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
Why would NJD give up a top 2 d-man with their horrible defensive depth?

Why would we give up a potential 1st line center with our weak top line center depth in the system?
This is an intelligent question, thank you.

I believe the answer, as I noted in the OP, is that there are threads where NJ laments its current state at C. So, they can give up a likely top 2 Dman, for a former #1 pick with some offensive skills who could, arguably develop into a #3-4 or maybe, maybe higher down the road, PLUS also get a sophomore C who in his rookie season not only got 20 Gs, but played well enough to be considered borderline lower 2nd C, an again, also has growth potential, which you acknowledge could even possibly be 1C potential.

NJ gets 2 for 1, and that pair has more immediately useful NHL experience.
But the 1 they give IS THOUGHT to have a likely higher ceiling.

Why NYR gives up a valued C is you have to give to get.
Larsson may or may not become elite, but he could be special.

Also, I know we all have Kreider penciled in at LW 'cause that's where he'd go if he tried out and made the club today. But that much speed might be well applied at C, and we might not trade Thomas, so, just as I'm not looking to rush Girardi out the door, neither am I looking to push out Stepan either. But if you can move good players for players who are special with an upside of elite, you do it, unless your depth is so bad, you would completely decimate the team to do so.

I believe I overlooked Fedotenko in my original lineup projection.
Add him as a 1 yr stop gap, and give hustlers like Weise and Hagelin a try.
We'll be fine.

bernmeister is offline   Reply With Quote