View Single Post
Old
08-20-2011, 04:58 PM
Rutabaga

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
The biggest risk in life is not taking one.

We've proven that we have great scouting and have done much better than average for where we've drafted in recent years. I'd much rather have handed the reigns to our scouting group and traded for youngsters and additional picks than do what we did.

What exactly were we risking by doing this? Missing out on all the 8th place spots that we've achieved over the years?

You're right, maybe it wouldn't have worked out, but at least we could've tried. I think it would've yielded us better results than what we've gotten.
Hard to know now.
The risks, well, we are not a model of stability over the past few years, which is a reason of our lack of success (lets say that it certainly did not help), and the pressure here, is not the same as it is in other markets where its easier to conduct such a plan.

Burke chose that way, with Toronto, Philadelphia did spent only one season only in the basement...I believe that today, the GM think that a team around the 9-10th spot is probably good enough to be kept how she is and is ready to be improved, and its for them, a better, or at least an easier way to do it.

Choosing to build a new team from scratch with picks, its like a boom or bust...either you've a good team in 4 or 5 years, either you've lost at least 10 years.
For the safety of your job, and for the franchise, i think its understandable if they chose to be sure of a 5-8th spot if they "just" do a solid job with what they have in the first place.

When we look at the real rebuilds done over the last few years, we can say that Washington, Pittsburgh, Tampa, Los Angeles and Chicago, among the 16 teams in the last PO, really did benefit from their respective rebuilds with high picks.
On the other hand, it means that the rest of the 11 teams did not, and we have what, 6 or 7 teams struggling despite their high picks.

Yes, we do a have a great scouting staff, but the number of young players breaking out in Montreal, recently, is not that big. The new staff possibly changes this (as we currently see Pacioretty, Eller, Desharnais, Subban and Weber in the team).

But even with a great scouting staff, you still need time and luck. The Blues and the Avalanche, as far as i know, are pretty good in the scouting area too, but they're still struggling.

We've been a bubble club for a very long time, but we should not blame the current staff for it. The players are almost all gone, the owner did change, the GM did change, the staff did change, its a fresh start.
We've seen countless threads complaining about Martin whereas he's by far the best coach we've had since...a decade probably, at least.
Thats with 15 years of mediocrity behind you. If you had 10 years of mediocrity + 5 years of garbage (because if you rebuild, you have to be garbage for a while), im not sure to have a positive environment.

Quote:

Yeah, I think we'll improve due to the emergence of Price and (hopefully) the emergence of Subban as stars. I just would've liked us to focus more on getting additional prospects to work with instead of going the route we chose.
Considering the way they chose, i think we have done a good job. Anyway, we could talk about what could have done, its quite late now...

Quote:
He hasn't really put his stamp on the team yet but he seems to have been okay.

He had balls of steel to deal away Halak. I'm not sure if Eller will pan out or if we got enough in return but at least he went with a prospect that he believed in. To me, that's definitely a good sign. I also felt that he did well dealing for Wiz. Even though he wasn't able to re-sign him, he still put us in a position where we got him and had a chance at getting a good young player for little cost. So, I think he's actually done an okay job so far.

Yes, as Mathman has stated shooting percentage has a high 'variability' (not sure if that's a word but whatever) to it and I believe him. That being said though (as you pointed out) the club was night and day different from the year before. Yes, we played better but we haven't shown enough consistency yet for me to buy that we're going to continue that path. I'm optimistic that we will (I have us ranked higher than the analysts) but it wouldn't suprise me in the least if we slumped back to what we were. We'll see.
Seriously, with all the injuries and disappointments in a personal level we had last season, we still clearly improved in a lot of areas. I think its more than enough to be confident about the fact its not a fluke.

Quote:
Nobody knows what's going to happen with him... The right thing to do is expect the worst and hope for the best. That way we're prepared if he goes down and improve even more if he doesn't.

If we traded him a few years ago it wouldn't have affected us at all. He hasn't really played for us anyway... we just would've got the benefit of the picks/prospects that we would've received in return.
Well...he did play.
But it would have affect us, just like a minor trade does.
But its an hypothetical scenario...

Quote:
You're missing the point. I'm not saying that the injuries are the same. I'm saying the situation is the same. You're in denial if you don't see Markov as an injury risk now. He is, just like he was last year.
No, no, i agree, its just that a concussion or similar problem (Hiller) is not on the same level, for me, as a knee problem is.
He's obviously a risk, and i hope that they will wait, this time, before playing.

Quote:
Again, not really my point. The point I was making was that players get hurt all the time. Gorges injury was a surprise but Markov's wasn't.
What i meant is that with Plekanec or Gorges or whoever, you cant be ready to deal with every situation.

Quote:
Problem is that Pleks is a below average first line center to begin with. You're saying that if he goes down we should go out and get yet another mediocre type center to replace him? Then next year we're stuck with Pleks, Gomez plus whatever patchhole fix we get this year for Pleks... that's not going to help us build towards a cup.
If he goes down, i guess that our two young players named Eller and Desharnais will, first, have a shot in the unit. If we cant find a way within our organization, we have to consider that Gomez's contract is potentially a liability and possibly, slightly, but possibly, worth something in a trade...
The best thing to do would probably to deal for an upcoming UFA, but even if that kind of injury would be devastating, there is always something to use in this kind of situation. Eller could break out, some players will play better than expected or cant handle the new role, etc...

If we dont do something stupid, it could useful to build a contending team. The season is probably killed, but it could be useful.

Damn, these kind of posts is difficult to type.

Last edited by Rutabaga: 08-20-2011 at 05:12 PM.
Rutabaga is offline   Reply With Quote