View Single Post
Old
08-21-2011, 11:12 AM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
You missed my point. Again, it is about creativity. I used the example of the Ellis non-trade to point out that we easily could have acquired that early first round draft pick that we lacked. In other words, if Philly had to have that top ten pick rather than a top notch defensive prospect, we could have acquired it with some ease. Hypothetically, then, you simply throw wilson, that pick or Ellis, and a third round pick into the deal. Then it is up to Philly to decide who they like better Voracek or Wilson, and if you value Voracek more, the onus is on Poile to improve that third round draft selection to a mid-level prospect or a 2nd round pick. As I stated originally, I hate making hypothetical trade ideas, but to say that the Predators were out of a trade scenario because they had already traded away their first round selection is short-sighted. If Jeff Carter was truly our target, then it is a failure on our GMs part for not getting him in Nashville colors because the cost was not that prohibitive and was fairly easy for us to swallow. I am of the opinion that Poile, for whatever reason, never really entertained adding Carter, likely due to the long contract and injury concerns. Too much risk for Poile.

3 top forward prospects would be Borque/Beck/Latta - I believe.

In terms of trade targets, you have got me. Right now, I just do not know. I mean, we all want a guy like Malkin or Stamkos to come to the Predators, but the likelyhood of that happening is marginal. This leaves us with the flawed talents or pending free agents. Ideally, the Predators go after Zach Parise. He would fit this team, and its needs like a glove. Outside of Parise, you have the uninspired Semin. Then you move down the list to lesser players that can fill a top 6 role like AK, etc. At this moment, I just cannot provide a list. I have been so busy with work that to produce such a list simply isn't possible, and maybe part of that reason is because there are not a lot of guys available. I suspect around training camp, more and more players will become available, and around Christmas, there should be a very good view of who will be on the market.

I am at Erlanger in Chattanooga doing Family Medicine residency. It was a lot like draft day. Crazy and exciting . I am happy with where I ended up as it was my first selection, and I love Chattanooga - beautiful town, lots to do outdoors, and a great program.
You're not looking for creativity, you're looking for LaLaLand. Neither Bourque/Beck/Latta are anywhere near Schenn. Philly was looking for forwards, not defensemen. They admitted as much. What we have to offer is in net and on the blueline. What Columbus had to offer was the #8 overall pick and what LA had to offer was a top forward prospect. For this particular set of transactions, the Preds simply did not have the right assets to complete the trade. It's like trying to walk into McDonalds with a Burger King coupon ... it won't get you a thing.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote